MechoSystems Aims to Balance the Benefits of Daylight Access While Protecting Occupants from Heat and Glare
Numerous research studies have pointed out how access to daylight can have a positive effect on sleep, boost physical activity, and improve one’s overall quality of life. Engineering innovations and improved building materials have paved the way to make floor-to-ceiling windows commonplace in every type of environment, making it much easier to find one’s self basking in the much-needed light. In some cases, however, all of that glorious natural brilliance can be distracting, even unbearable at times. How do you balance that exposure without baking in the sun’s rays while sitting at a workstation or having to dodge piercing glares reflecting off multiple surfaces?
Enter MechoSystems. For over half a century, they have influenced the evolution of architectural design by developing the daylight-management solutions that curtainwall designs and floor-to-ceiling windows require. Not only does their impressive array of opaque and sunscreen roller shades offer protection from solar radiation, they also provide privacy, equip rooms with a multipurpose capability, prevent spaces with floor-to-ceiling glass from becoming greenhouses, and enable the implementation of effective daylight integration strategies.
The type of space you’re designing can be accommodated by either of their two types of engineered textiles. In areas such as conference rooms, private offices, auditoria, or sleeping areas that may require privacy, the solid construction of opaque shades offer a solution where no light passes through. Sunscreen shades, however, are available in a wide range of weaves, materials, colors, sizes, and openness factors, offering nearly limitless solutions that address functionality and aesthetics while maintaining views to the outdoors.
In addition to the variety of shade textiles available, a selection of shading systems are designed to complement not only the shades themselves but enhance their functionality within different types of spaces. The most familiar shade system, Manual, has been around for decades, a version of which is commonly found in homes. Motorized systems are installed with a switch to control operations, offer convenience, or to raise/lower large shades that are not practical for a manual chain-driven system. A motorized shade can be for a single shade, a small office, open plan, an event space, or a boardroom for audio-visual presentations.
Building off Motorized shades are Integrated systems that connect to media control systems or lighting control systems and shades can be raised or lowered based on the activation of an audio-visual presentation or move to pre-determined heights based on different usage of the space.
And finally, Automated shading systems often use solar modeling to develop a predictive program to lower shades to interrupt direct sunlight before it enters a space. Real-time tracking sensors insure that cloudy days are accounted for and shades remain up but actively lower as sensors detect intensifying sunlight. The automated shading systems help to optimize daylight access while maintaining views, managing glare, and reducing heat gain within spaces. Automated shades can also work in tandem with automated lighting control systems or building management systems to meet code requirements for dimming of overhead lights near the window-wall, saving energy and reducing greenhouse gases.
MechoSystems’s Shadecloths and Shade Systems
– Product line includes cutting-edge automated shading-control systems such as SolarTrac®, SunDialer®, and the award-winning MechoNet™ Wireless Daylight Sensor and Controller system.
– Manually operated Mecho®/5 and UrbanShades® used in conjunction with EcoVeil® are Cradle to Cradle™ Bronze and have positioned the company as a sustainability leader.
– Motor-driven roller shade systems ElectroShades® and motorized WhisperTrac® drapery systems continue to be specified in noteworthy buildings and retrofits worldwide.
– MagnaShades®, sloping shades, skylights, bottom-up shades, and trapezoidal shades among others can be customized for distinctive spaces or unique window types.
– Opaque shades do not allow any light to pass through and are perfect for privacy and conference rooms.
– Sunscreen shades vary in construction and openness and are available in 1%, 2%, 3%, 5% as well as other custom values.
– Shadecloths include: Thermoveil®, EuroTwill®, EuroVeil®, Midnite, EcoVeil®, Chelsea, and SoHo line of engineered textiles.
– All MechoSystems shadecloths are offered in varying roll widths, are FR rated and most are GreenGuard Gold recognized. Additional shadecloths are available with Cradle to Cradle™ and Declare! recognition.
Incorporate daylight-management solutions in your space with Mechosystems >