13 Gray and Black Interiors Set the Tone for Halloween
Dark neutrals don’t have to be boring. This Halloween, we’re channeling spooky yet chic energy into these gray and black interiors.
Editor’s Note: This story was updated October, 31, 2022.
1. Sensorial Retail Locales Around the Globe
For this fashion retailer, which offers a curated collection of independent designers from around the world, an avant-garde yet neutral environment illuminated by shadowless backlit ceilings — think 2001: A Space Odyssey — puts focus on the clothing.
2. PIG Design Creates a Retro-futuristic Visual Mix for Shanghai’s GRNDCNTRL
PIG Design founder and design director Li Wenqiang gathered a sharp mix of materials including leather, steel, brass, and jade for the space, which takes advantage of reflectivity to create eye-popping light installations in the lounge and hall-of-mirrors trickery everywhere else.
3. Lialawlab Designs a Futuristic Skincare Center in Hangzhou, China
For FORMORAL, a skincare brand grounded in medical science, Lia Xing and Haifeng Luo of Lialawlab created an otherworldly flagship locale in Hangzhou, China, punctuated by arched forms and monochromatic surfaces.
4. Russian Aeronautics and Space Travel Set the Theme at Moscow’s Cafe Polet by Asthetíque
Black-birch paneling and stainless-steel doors channel Russian constructivism in the first dining zone at Moscow’s Cafe Polet by Asthetíque. Read more. Read more.
5. Tomo Design Goes Futuristic for Heytea Lab Flagship in Shenzhen
The Tea Geek Lab is set under a striking sloped ceiling where myriad metal textures add depth and character to the space. Read more.
6. Magu Design Goes to the Core of Norway’s Aker BP Collaboration Center Experience
Below the lobby ceiling’s custom textile installation, a fireplace by Safretti within a feature wall of Quarella Fior Di Pesco marble warms Fredericia seating and tables; the rug is by Mossimo. Read more.
7. The IIDA Honors the Winners of its 47th Annual Interior Design Competition
Xi’an Changjiang Insun Imax Cinema by One Plus Partnership. Read more.
8. Le Square Épicier Fin is a Vietnamese-French Mash-Up of a Marketplace by Locatelli Partners
The villa’s original stone staircase dating to the late 1800s was preserved. Read more.
9. La Cage Noire Nightclub by Minas Kosmidis Architects Invites a Walk on the Wild Side
La Cage Noire, a newly opened nightclub in Komotini, Greece, draws design inspiration from its namesake the black cage. Read more.
10. AD Architecture Dresses Up the Trongyee Boutique in Shantou, China
Polished stainless-steel display fixtures hug the sidewalls, leaving the sales floor open for events. Read more.
11. Right Angle Studio Designs a Members-Only Club in Singapore
The dark-stained oak bar is trimmed in gold stainless steel plates and topped with Viscon White granite. Read more.
12. Two Taiwanese Residences by Degree Design Balance Elegance and Comfort
Wallpaper also creates a scenic vista in the Wenshan apartment’s master bedroom. Read more.
13. Maurizio Lai Architects Designs Michelin-Starred Restaurant
Varying textures of porphyry stone—from split to brushed—form an angular arch that leads into the restaurant’s main dining room. Read more.